San Francisco Civil War Round Table Meeting
Thursday 16th January 2014
at the United Irish Cultural Center
2700 45th Avenue, San Francisco
The meeting commenced at 6:45pm with the Pledge of Allegiance and the introduction of guests.
Bob Lawhon introduced a special guest, fifth-grader Sawyer Livsey, who
is a Civil War reenactor. Sawyer gave an entertaining account of his recent
experiences at a reenactment on Angel Island which included, drills, cannon
firing and bread making.
Private Livsey was presented with a Certificate of Appreciation by
President Patrick Doyle.
The President announced the unfortunate news that Treasurer Joan Keller was hospitalized
following a fall in her home. The members signed a "get well" card with many heartfelt
expressions of concern and support.
Guest speaker John Herberich gave a most enjoyable report on the 2013 West Coast Civil
War Conference. Major speakers and topics included
- Jim Stansbery -"Trans-Mississippi Action, 1863"
- General Parker Hill (Ret.), on his book "Receding Tide - The Study of the Battles of
Vicksburg and Gettysburg"
- Richard Hatcher, Historian at Ft Sumpter on "The Ironclad Attack on Fort Sumter"
- Dr. Craig Symonds, "The Battle of Chickamauga and Chattanooga - Their Place in
- Dr. Brian Clague on "Civil War Medicine"
- Mary Hatcher & Jean Hutchinson on "Southern Women in the War Years"
John's easy-going style and humorous asides made for
an entertaining view of the event. It was particularly
valuable since non of the SFCWRT members had attended.
After some discussion, the meeting ended at 8:45pm